The Summer Heat is almost upon us here in the Suncoast – it’s called the “Suncoast” for a reason. As you prepare your home for the inevitable barbecues and pool parties, now is a great time to prepare your home’s AC System for the looming Summer heat.
In the same way that you change your vehicle’s oil and top-off fluids prior to taking your family on a Summer road trip, there are steps you can take to ensure that your AC System is performing at peak efficiency during the hottest period of the year – and the most expensive for you monthly energy bill.
Here are a few steps that you can take yourself:
Change your AC System Filter. A dirty or clogged Filter can lead to many undesirable issues. However, the two (2) main issues are:
- Degraded AC System Performance: As your filter collects more debris, airflow through the system will progressively slow down. This can lead to evaporator coil icing/freezing and can also put undue strain upon the fan motor or even electrical components. This could lead to expensive repair bills.
- Poor Home Air Quality: As your filter collects more debris, the potential for contaminates to be distributed throughout your home increases, leading to possible respiratory and allergic conditions.
Check your AC Filter frequently and stock up on filters to last you the entire Summer since the cost-per-filter is lower when you buy in bulk. Click here for our Filter Maintenance tips and here to learn about the different filter types.
Check your Thermostat/Install Programmable Thermostat: Set your thermostat setting so that your AC System “kicks on” to cool your home. Put your hand up to the vents (called “registers”) to ensure that chilly air is being delivered to the home. If the air is not noticeably cold, contact AC Today to schedule an ACT First Responder to conduct a full AC System checkup.
In addition, you don’t want your AC System cooling your home too much during the hottest part of the day, especially if you will be at the office or out of town. By installing a digital, programmable thermostat, you can ensure that you save energy – and money – by programming your thermostat to only cool the home when you will actually be at home. Click here for tips when choosing a thermostat.
Keep your AC System Clean: Like anything else, your AC System can get dirty over time. To keep it operating at optimum levels, you need to periodically clean the unit. How?
- Remove plants and other obstructions from around your outdoor condensing section to ensure maximum airflow
- Clean the air coil in the Condensing Section to ensure maximum heat transfer.
- Keep the Air Handler condensation line clear of obstruction and clogging from dirt or algae. This will likely require a licensed AC Contractor like AC Today to ensure that the condensation line is clear and the drain pain enables condensation (i.e. water) flows out of the unit
An AC Today First Responder can perform all of the above – and more – when you schedule an AC System tune-up. With an ACT Maintenance Agreement, our First Responders proactively perform the tune-up for you. The best part is that ACT Maintenance Agreement customers get preferred and priority scheduling.
In addition, ACT Maintenance Agreement customers receive First Responder priority status in the event that you require emergency repair or replacement services.
Now is the Time to Replace that Tired AC System: If your AC System is more than 8 years old and seems to be struggling to cool your home, the best time to replace your AC System is NOW. Don’t wait until the peak of Summer to replace your AC System as installation crews are at their busiest. Don’t run the risk of being uncomfortable while you wait to have your AC System replaced. Call AC Today to speak to one of our Installation Specialists. Don’t forget that ACT Maintenance Agreement customers receive preferred AC System replacement pricing and priority scheduling.
If it’s true that “a stitch in time saves nine” then the same holds true for your AC System as we transition into the Summer heat. By taking the steps above and relaying on the AC Today services, you will be able to keep your cool this Summer.
Please call AC Today or stop by our headquarters to have a cup of coffee and to speak with our System Specialists!